Monday, June 19, 2006

The scholar


'He began to work long before daybreak.…He read nothing without making extracts; he used even to say that there was no book so bad as not to contain something of value. In the country it was only the time when he was actually in his bath that was exempted from study. When travelling, as though freed from every other care, he devoted himself to study alone. In short, he deemed all time wasted that was not employed in study.' (Pliny the Younger, Epp. iii.5 - an account of Pliny the Elder's manner of life told by his nephew and heir Pliny the Younger).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh! that's what I call being keen....

7:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How...scholarly. If I put in half as much effort as he, then I would be a lot further in my studies.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Shaman Dandulla said...

Claude you sure can teach me some good tricks then;)
And by the way... I have installed Sage.. gosh.. You are really making me an addict, and I thank you for this.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leon, you are so right... we would all have been a lot further in our studies, if we had even put one third of our time mate..

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"he used even to say that there was no book so bad as not to contain something of value"

Mind you, he was living well before Jeffrey Archer started writing.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home